History

www.townwaits.org.uk / History Index / Scarborough



Records of the Scarborough Waits


From The London Gazette (1688)

Scarborough, 3 July [1688] - On Sunday last, the day of publick Thanksgiving for the Birth of the Prince, Mr. Mayor, with the Aldermen and Commons, were in the Evening invited to the Castle by Capt. Wolsley, who commands in chief there, where they were, with divers Gentlemen, very generously entertained; the great Guns firing, and the Soldiers giving Vollies at the drinking Their Majesties' and the Prince's Healths: After which the Officers and the rest of the Company went with Mr. Mayor to his House, (the Town Musick playing all the way before them,) where they repeated the Royal Healths:

[This was of course the birth on June 10th that year to King James II and Queen Mary of a Catholic heir, James Francis Edward Stuart, subsequently to be known as The Old Pretender - Alan Radford.]


From: Alan Radford, 01 March 2015:
Bartholomew Johnson, Scarborough Wait.
"We have pictures of the venerable gentleman on our website at www.townwaits.org.uk/pics_originals_undated.shtml#Johnston. Anyway, here's a bit more to add to the Scarborough historical records:

"On February 17th 1814 Bartholomew Johnson, a celebrated musician in the Scarborough area, died on this day at the age of 103 years, and was interred in Wykeham churchyard. Born on October 3rd 1710, he moved from his home at Wykeham to nearby Scarborough in order to take up an apprenticeship as a barber and for almost seventy-one years he was one of the town's waits. Bartholomew Johnson's prowess as a musician, coupled with many commendable personal properties, ensured that he was surrounded by a large circle of friends, and his 100th birthday was celebrated with a jubilee dinner and musical performance at the Freemasons' Lodge in Scarborough. A medal was struck as memorial of the event and Lord Mulgrave commissioned John Jackson R.A. to paint a portrait of the venerable centenarian, which was later presented to Scarborough Corporation and put on display in the Town Hall."

From: "Old Yorkshire", by William Smith (1891).



back to top history section index